Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Cool Concept

So Ryan just discovered this place in Austin called: Odd Duck to Farm Trailer. He read about it on his bus ride this morning. It's a little restaurant out of a trailer, but this guy buys only local produce and meat from farmers around town.
I think this is really, really cool. Ever since watching that film, Food, Inc. I have completely changed how I have been eating.

  • No fast food. (it's been over a month)
  • Bringing lunch everyday. Eating A LOT more fruits and veggies.
  • Making dinner/ eating at home...even if I get home really late.
  • No soda, and really trying to avoid things with high fructose corn syrup.

Those are the biggest changes but for me, they are major. It takes a lot of work to meal plan and go shopping to eat healthy. Its even harder to do these things when you have only one day off of work. I've also been trying to be better about WHERE I am getting my food from, farmers markets, etc. (Sprouts, Sun Harvest, Whole Foods and Central Market are places I frequent now since the only real farmers market is currently only open in the middle of my work days). Which also means trips to different stores since I have not found a single place that has everything on my list. time consuming. I am not complaining, I am sure there are people more busy than I, but that's the whole reason those food corporations have been so successful....because they make food convenient. And cheap. But, I've been faithful and sticking to this resolution. And it's worth it. I feel great. Ryan feels great. (I have been packing lunches for him too). His pants fall off of him now, so besides feeling good, he is actually seeing the benefits of eating this way too.

But this brings me back to why I think this new place sounds really cool. Even at the so-called farmers markets, I see blueberries, raspberries, apricots, and all kinds of summer fruits for sale. what?!?! It's WINTER here. even in Austin. When you look at the label, it's from Mexico or Chile. Americans are so spoiled. So accustomed to having what they want, when they want it, despite the practicality. Needless to say, I am slightly disappointed...that even at the "farmers market" I have to be wary about the produce I buy. Don't buy produce from Mexico or Chile! I don't know how much gas it takes to get produce from down there to up here, but I just calculated the distance from Arica, Chile (at the very northern end) to Austin and its 3828 miles. That is A LOT of gas people! AND their pesticide regulations are nowhere near as strict as the US (which I think even some currently used here are questionable), so you're definitely getting some extra (not) goodies with your purchase.

So yeah, I think this guy's place sounds pretty cool. He rotates daily menus and plans them based on what is in season here. Ryan and I will go check him out and show our support.


The Trailer. Looks cute, huh?

1 comment:

Chanelle said...

wow tht sounds really awesome! i wonder if there are any places like that out here.
I have been eating fairly better that usual too! I usual buy food from spouts these days. sandwiches, vegetarian burgers and kashi products are my favorite.
should relaly cook more at home though
so proud of you and ryan!!!!