Tuesday, July 21, 2009

I'm free!!!

I am officially back at my place and it feels so good! Their house is all clean, smells like lavender goodness, and I got a little something together to welcome them home:


welcome home!

yummies

I just bought some flowers from the market, put them in a cute pitcher vase that had been sitting out, got a little card and made some chocolate chip coconut oatmeal cookies. These are so yummy! They aren't too sugary, so they are perfect when you're craving something sweet and don't want something over-the-top. Plus I love the hint of coconut in them!


Chocolate chip coconut oatmeal cookies

I've made these for the lab, bbq's and just because. . . I always get compliments on them. Even Ryan, who is not a huge fan of coconut, has no trouble eating several in a sitting.

How to make your own...
What you'll need

1 c. butter
1 c. light brown sugar (packed)
0.5 c. white sugar
2 eggs
3 tsp vanilla extract
1.25 c. all purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
0.5 tsp salt
3.25 c. quick cooking oats (I use Quaker in the big cardboard carton)
1 c. chopped walnuts
1.5 c. shredded coconut (I use Baker's brand)
1 c. Ghirardelli semisweet chocolate chips

*note* I adapted this from a regular oatmeal cookie recipe, which originally called for 2 tsp vanilla. I love vanilla so I always multiply what recipes call for by 1.5.

What to do

1. Preheat your oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
2. In a large bowl, cream the butter, brown sugar and white sugar until smooth. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then add the vanilla. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda and salt, then add this to the creamy mixture in portions until it is just blended. Next add in order, the oats, walnuts, coconut and finally the chocolate chips.
3. Drop by heaping spoonfuls onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake for 12 minutes, or until "just kissed" golden brown. Cool on the baking sheet for several minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. yields about 2.5 dozen depending on the size.
4. ENJOY!! Easy squeezy, right?

(For more "bally" looking cookies like mine, chill the dough for an hour or so prior to baking. The dough also stores well in the freezer- about 2 weeks- so you can bake what you want and save the rest for later.)

Of course these cookies taste great without the coconut, or the nuts. . . I've made both. It's a versatile recipe where you can add or remove whatever you want. Sometime I am going to try it with pecans instead of walnuts, and perhaps some dried cranberries. Hope you like 'em!


No comments: